Telephone: 01736 788306
Fax: 01736 786288
The Surgery is open Monday to Friday 8am to 6:30pm We are closed for lunch between 1pm and 2pm
- Claims vitamin B prevents Alzheimer's are unproven
- Sharing a bed with your baby ups risk of cot death
- Job stress may raise our 'bad cholesterol' levels
- Vitamin D may help treat severe asthma
- Rise in number of unpaid carers and young carers
- Time-lapse technique may boost success rate of IVF
- Absent fathers linked to depression risk in girls
- Human embryo stem cells cloning breakthrough
- Drug combination offers hope for osteoporosis
- 'Broken' body clock may be linked to depression
Clinics & Services
Do you find it hard to see a doctor when you want to?
To help our patients access their doctor at a time that is suitable to them, the doctors at Cape Cornwall Surgery will be offering the following extended hours appointments.
Dr Carruthers - 6:30pm to 8pm on Monday evenings when he is not on call
Dr Ellery - one Saturday morning 8:00am to 11:00am once a month
Dr Clegg - three Friday mornings 7:00am to 8:00am each month
Dr Mackenzie - one Saturday morning 8:00 to 11:00am once a month
These slots are limited and prebookable ( up to 4 weeks in advance) so please use them
wisely. Workers and carers will benefit from these changes.
All our usual daytime surgeries will continue as before.
Minor Injuries Services
Our nurses are avaliable to help with the following minor injuries. GP advice will be sought if necessary. You do not have to be registered at Cape Cornwall Surgery to use this service if your injury consitutes an emergency.
cuts and abrasions
the removal of foreign bodies
stings and bites
minor burns and scalds
minor head injuries
Additional GP Services
MATERNITY SERVICES Drs Clegg, Carruthers and Ellery
FAMILY PLANNING Drs Clegg, Carruthers and Ellery
CHILD HEALTH CLINICS Drs Clegg and Ellery
SUBSTANCE MISUSE Dr Ellery
ACUPUNCTURE Dr Ellery
NLP Dr Carruthers
MINOR SURGERY Dr Ellery
DOMICILIARY THROMBOLYSIS Dr Clegg, Carruthers and Ellery
JOINT INJECTIONS Dr Carruthers and Ellery
Young Person's Sexual Health Clinic
The Surgery at St Just runs a “drop in” clinic for those individuals seeking a confidential service regarding their sexual health.
This nurse –run clinic provides contraceptive advice, emergency contraception, and a pregnancy test service.
The surgery is EEFO quality kite-marked for successfully providing this service in St Just. This service is also open to those who are not registered at the practice.
Practice Nurses Clinics
We have 3 part-time nurses who can see you by appointment either in the morning or the afternoon. They offer a wide range of services including:
- Children's immunisations
- Travel vaccinations
- Weight monitoring
- Cervical smears
- Family planning
- Blood pressure checks
- Ear syringing
- Dietary advice
- Removal of stitches
- Smoking cessation
Specialist Nurse Clinics
The Practice Nurses also run specialist clinics for illnesses such as:
- Coronary Heart Disease
- Chronic Respiratory Disease Monitoring
Blood tests are usually taken by our in-house Phlebotomist, who may be seen by appointment.
Generally blood tests are taken in the morning to enable the courier to get them to the hospital laboratory promptly so that they may be analysed the same day. Occasionally blood testing requires fasted samples, necessitating patients to abstain from eating or drinking prior to their morning phlebotomy appointment.
Appointments can be made at reception.
Fit to work (Sick) Notes
- If you need to take time off work due to sickness, you need to ask at Reception for a “self certification Note”. This will cover you for up to 6 days.
- If after 6 days you are still not well enough to return to work, you will need a Doctor’s certificate.
- These can only be obtained by making an appointment to see the Doctor. They cannot be backdated or issued without seeing the Doctor.
- If you require a HOME VISIT please call the Surgery before 10am as this helps the Doctors to plan their rounds. A brief description of your symptoms given to the receptionists will help the Doctors to plan their rounds and assess the urgency of your call.
- If an EMERGENCY HOME VISIT is required then the on-call GP will always leave the surgery at any time during the working day.
- OUT OF HOURS – are handled by SERCO HEALTH. You will automatically be transferred to the switchboard when you call the Surgery telephone number 01736 788306.
Telephone calls to the Doctors
- The Doctors do not take telephone calls during surgery, except in an emergency.
- If you need to speak to the doctor on the telephone the receptionists will advise you of the best time to call.
- For confidentiality reasons the Doctors cannot discuss the patients medical problems with relatives without prior consent from the patient in question. Please ask at reception for a consent form for your relative if you need one.
Cape Cornwall Surgery has its own dispensary which is open between 8am and 6.30pm on weekdays, closing for lunch between 1 and 2pm. We can prescribe drugs for any patients living more than a mile from a chemist. Drugs are delivered to outlying areas of West Penwith and can be collected from:
Sennen Post Office – Monday, Wednesday and Fridays
The General Store, St Buryan – Monday, Wednesday and Fridays
1 Little Trethewey, St Levan – Monday, Wednesday and Fridays
Boscaswell Stores, Pendeen – Monday, Wednesday and Fridays
We have also started a limited home delivery service for housebound patients on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning. Please speak to the Dispensary for further information .
We require 2 working days for all repeat prescriptions, whether you are a dispensing or non-dispensing patient. To avoid confusion use the computerised prescription counterfoil to make your request. This may be:
Done over the telephone using our repeat prescription ordering service on 01736 786925 (available 24hrs a day)
Posted to the surgery
Put in the letterbox located in the surgery entrance hall
Placed in the containers located at the branch surgery collection points
Please do not telephone your prescription request to the surgery unless absolutely necessary.
The District nurse team provides general nursing care within the community, liaising closely with hospital based nursing staff, Macmillan service, domiciliary physiotherapy, and occupational therapy, social services, and the Doctors themselves.
They can be contacted during work hours on 01736 575500, leave a message on their answer phone if they are not available.
During “out of hours” (6:30pm – 8am) you may contact the “on-call” district nurse via Serco Health.
If you are a new patient to Cape Cornwall Surgery we provide a quick, simple health check with one of our practice nurses.
Besides your health check, your current medications, medical history, any allergies and relevant family history will be documented, as it may be some time before the surgery receives your NHS medical notes.
This information may help you or your family if an urgent medical problem should arise, or if you need a repeat prescription soon after moving surgeries.
GP Consultations are also available at
Contact us for more information